|...just like all of my other posts.|
The t-slot extrusions, known to me as 80/20 (supposedly 80% of the strength of aluminum at 20% the weight) will serve as the frame for this build and hopefully be adequate for any future four-wheeled vehicles I may feel the need to create in the near future. Special nuts can be inserted into the slots and removed without harming the extrusions, making them ideal for builds that are somewhat fluid in nature when it comes to component placement.
Thanks to the help of Evan Lane, I was able to cut sprockets from 1/8" 6061 Al using the mill in the BU Tinker Lab. <-- BU students, please come do things here so you will enter the job world with real engineering experience!
|Test run on foam insulation|
|We made a fancy jig to hold it.|
|Number of end mils broken doing this: zero.|
|Done! Chamfer was added to the edges later, I promise.|
The sprocket spacers were cut next.
|A few tapped holes later, we've got drive wheels!|
Here's a picture of the rolling chassis plus the throttle pedal, which I was overly excited to use, so I put it on as soon as I could.
|The front wheels line up - cute.|
|The brakes were next|
|Then came the motors and chain.|
|Special thanks to Abominable Snowman Steering Systems.|
|Please note comically large steering wheel.|
|Anti-grav comes standard in jasontrollers.|
For the record, I did ride the wooden kart down the hallways of 44 Cummington for a few feet, but the wooden parts, especially the uprights, were very unhappy and were sagging from the weight of my huge ass. Stay tuned for when aluminum parts are cut and we do garage testing, hopefully by the end of the summer!