Monday, January 9, 2012

Stator Wrapping Complete!

It's a milestone in an engineer's life when he completes the wrapping of his first stator for a custom brushless D motor. I'm proud to announce that I have hit that milestone, and my thumbs are killing me. First step was to make a diagram for wrapping, which can be found in this post. Over the course of the next 10 hours (not consecutive), thumb and finger health decreased steadily and a few pictures were taken. To help you understand the numbers in the captions, one "Phase" consists of two pairs of two strands (four strands total) each wrapped around two teeth (four teeth total). The A phase consists of two teeth wound clockwise and two teeth wound counterclockwise. Put three of these phases together in the right order with the right orientation, and you've got yourself a motor.

1/4 of phase A wrapped
1/2 of phase A and 1/2 of B wrapped
Phases A and B complete, 1/2 of Phase C
One more tooth to go!
DONE. GORGEOUS.

Finishing this felt amazing (as I loudly proclaimed in N52 when I completed the last turn) despite my throbbing fingers. I've technically been working on this project since late August, and I'm finally getting somewhere. Shortly after I posted this photo to facebook, Shane and Charles displayed their amazement with the quality of the wraps, which is apparently pretty good. Which was what I was aiming for. The next step will be machining the endcaps and spacers to house the stator and rotor. Too bad I'm going back to school in a week and I'm helping the MIT Marine Robotics Team with some stuff until then.

Looks like it's time to get reacquainted with the machine shop. Let the hub motor season begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment